SBI Online vs Offline account closure:
Note: There is no way to close SBI bank account online. You have to go to your home branch where you opened the account to close your account. The procedure to close SBI Savings account and SBI Salary account is same.
In this article you will find simple and short guide of how to close your SBI bank account. If you have savings or current or salary account with SBI (State bank of India) and you want to close it, here are the steps you need to follow.
Things to remember before closing your SBI bank account.
- You cannot re-open you account again.
- You should make the balance to Zero before proceeding with the account closure.
- Any pending dues should be cleared before closing the account.
- Take complete bank statement of your bank account ( for future use )
Download SBI Account Closure Form
You can download the SBI Account Closure form by clicking here.
Close SBI bank account : 3 Step Simple Guide
Visit your nearest branch.
Step 1 : Fill form to close the account:
- First you need to fill the complete form mentioning following details
- Your name ( i.e. Name of account holder )
- Your account number
- Contact number
- How would you like to transfer the remaining balance
- Transfer to other account
- Signature of the account holder.
Step 2 : Return Debit Card ( if you have ), chequebook and passbook.
- Debit card
- You need to return the debit card, if you want to withdraw your money from ATM, do that before submitting the debit card
- If you want to withdraw money from bank account take one cheque leaf and write the balance amount in it and withdraw as cash in the bank itself.
- You can hand this over to bank as it is of no use.
Step 3 : ID and Address proof ( Might be required )
- Some branch might ask for ID and Address proof before closing the account. In my case they didn’t ask for such proof.
How will I know if my account is closed?
You will get mail as well as SMS on your registered email id and mobile after account closure. You can also call their toll free number 1800112211 for any issues with closing of bank account.
FAQ About SBI Bank account Closure
Question : Is there and difference between closing SBI Salary account vs Closing SBI savings account?
Answer : There is no difference, process is same.
SBI Account Closing Charges