This article explains when and how you can find bank account name from account number.
Can I get the owner’s name from account number?
Yes, this is possible, but only for some banks. You can try and see if it works.
How to find the owner of a bank account number?
You can try either of the following 2 methods –
Method 1: Use cash deposit machine.
- Go to the cash deposit machine of the bank who’s account it is.
- Enter the account number.
- The machine will display the account holder’s name.
- The stage at which the machine displays the name will vary according to the bank. For example, in Axis Bank, the machine will display the name immediately after you enter the account number. However, in ICICI Bank, you have to enter the account number, deposit the cash (notes), the machine will count them, and then before the final submission, it will display the account name.
- You can cancel the transaction at the last step to get your cash back.
Method 2: Use internet banking.
- You can use method this only if your own account is in the same bank.
- Log into your internet banking → Fund Transfer.
- Use the option to add a new beneficiary/payee within the same bank.
- Enter the account number and nick name.
- The system will then display the account name. It will show the beneficiary name as per bank records.
- You can cancel the process right then, or add the payee.
Both these methods to find bank account name from account number should be used only for information purposes. Ideally you should just ask the person who gave you the account number for the account name.