If you want to change address in passport, you have to apply for reissue of passport with the new address. That way you will receive a new passport with a new number and booklet. You can cannot change address in the current passport.
How to change address in passport offline?
To apply for a reissue of passport offline, please follow the given steps:
- Visit your nearest Passport Seva Kendra office (one which has jurisdiction over your place of residence).
- Make an application for reissue (fill up the application form and submit the required documents).
- Pay the fees in cash.
(In this method, you can’t pick your appointment slot.)
How to change address in passport (partly) online?
The alternative method is that you complete the application, pay the fees, and book the appointment online. To do that, please follow the given steps:
Online Registration – Passport Seva Website
You must have an account on the Passport Seva website to use this method. If not, it is very simple to create one.
- Log on to the official Passport Seva website.
- If you are an existing user, click on ‘Existing User? Login’. Then enter your login ID and password, and log in to your account.
- If you are not registered on the website, click on ‘New User? Register Now’. After that, the ‘User Registration’ page will open. Enter all your required details, and then click on ‘Register’.
- You will receive an email to activate your account. After clicking on the link to activate and logging in to your account, click on ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport’.
Application Form to Change Address in Passport
You can either fill up the application form for reissue of passport online on the website itself, or you can download it as a PDF and then fill it up. In case you are using the downloaded PDF form, after filling it up, you have to upload it to the same page you had downloaded it from.
Remember you have to enter your new address. You have to provide two references – their full names, phone numbers, and addresses.
To book an appointment, you have to make the payment online. After submitting your form, click on ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’. Then ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’.
Fees to Change Address in Passport
|Age of Applicant||Validity Required||Normal Charge||Tatkal Charge|
|Less than 15 years||All||Rs.1000||Rs.3000|
|15 years -18 years||5 years or till the age of 18 years||Rs.1000||Rs.3000|
|15 years -18 years||10 years (36 pages)||Rs.1500||Rs.3500|
|15 years -18 years||10 years (60 pages)||Rs.2000||Rs.4000|
|18 years and above||10 years (36 pages)||Rs.1500||Rs.3500|
|18 years and above||10 years (60 pages)||Rs.2000||Rs.4000|
The payment is non-refundable. You can make the payment via –
- Debit or credit cards (VISA or MasterCard)
- Internet banking (SBI and associate banks)
- SBI challan
For payment via challan, you have to deposit the fees at the nearest SBI branch 3 hours after generating the challan or within 85 days.
Payment via debit or credit cards incur an additional charge of 1.5% plus service tax. Payment via internet banking or SBI challan has no additional charges.
Make an Appointment
After making the payment, you can track the payment status. For payments made via challan, wait for two working days for the payment to be processed.
Once the payment is successful, you can schedule an appointment. You can select your preferred passport office and time slot.
Appointment at the Passport Office
- Reach the passport office 15 minutes before your appointment time with the required documents (explained below).
- You will be allotted a token number. Go for your verification process when your token number is called.
- If additional police verification is required, you will be informed via SMS.
- After the verification, your passport will be couriered to you at your new address.
What are the documents required to change address in passport?
You need to submit the following documents to change address in passport:
- Old passport -original
- Copy of your online application and payment/challan receipt
- Self-attested copy of first 2 and last 2 pages of old passport
- Self-attested copy of ECR – Non-ECR page
- Address Proof – any of these – Aadhaar card, voter ID card, electricity bill, water bill, landline/mobile bill, gas connection proof, registered rent agreement, income tax assessment order, bank passbook having photograph, spouse’s passport, or a certificate from employer (reputed company) on the company letterhead.
- Self-attested copy of page of observation (if any made by the Passport Issuing Authority)
- Self-attested copy of validity extension page (if any)
In addition to the documents listed above, minors need to submit:
- Copy of first and last page of parent’s passort
- A confirmation affirming the details in the application according to Annexure H
For Retired Government Officials
In addition to the documents listed above, retired government officials need to submit:
- Pension payment order
For Government/PSU/Statutory Body Employees
In addition to the documents listed above, government/PSU/statutory body employees need to submit:
- A No Objection Certificate (NOC) according to Annexure M or a Prior Intimation Letter (PI) according to Annexure N
To read about how to get minor passport issued in India, please click here.
To read about how to change name in passport after marriage in India, please click here.
Leave a Reply